Sunday, 2 December 2007

PostScript



Apart from the joy of seeing a mother Grizzly bear and her two cubs at the roadside, the journey out of the Denali National Park passed without incident. We travelled back to Anchorage and I was fortunate to get a flight out the next morning back to London. Despite the tan and beard, my daughter Carly still recognised me and I was overjoyed to see her and Libby once I’d located our new house (my resourceful wife had moved home whilst I’d been on the mountain).

Apart from being 10kgs lighter and frost nipped fingers which went a waxy white then peeled there were no lasting ill effects. As I write this several months on, I look back with a warm sense of accomplishment knowing that we all worked hard to bag Denali and traverse over the mountain to Wonder Lake. For some of us this clearly isn’t enough, my tent mate Ben is currently rowing the Atlantic, as for myself, I’ve been more than occupied with work and family life to think of what’s next.

No comments: